Thanks to our bro, Ferret, Death by Kukri has a 20 man Ventrilo server that’s open to the whole community! Here’s how you join:
1) Download Ventrilo!
2) Run the program and then click this button!
3) Then a new window pops up and you want to enter the info below like this!
4) If you need help message me on steam or holla at one of the other admins
Two important announcements today:
Donations for the TF2 server are now officially open!
Check the announcement here.
When you donate you will get added to the server’s reserved slot group, which means you have priority access to the server (if it’s filled with “pubbers”, for instance). There are two donation paths:
1. Single month donations, any amount between $5 and $500 are allowed. Give what you want or can. This restriction is from GameServer’s “ClanPay” system.
2. Multiple month donation. If you want a reserved slot for 5 months but can only give $1 per month, you have to donate $5 upfront. As many months as you want, as long as it meets the minimum (or reasonable, e.g. nothing “for life”) for ClanPay. This is to foster our “open policy” on donations. We have a wonderful little community of friends, this is not about selling something to you guys. You give what you can, which will be very much appreciated.
I’ve been trying to fight against the spammers hitting our site for a while now. For the foreseeable future, ALL NEWLY REGISTERED users have READ-ONLY access. If we have a legitimate new user then that user MUST contact me in order to get posting privileges.
Our community is small enough that we don’t have many new people, so I can manage this on an individual basis. If we grow to the point where that won’t be feasible, I will take other measures (most likely move beyond Phpbb). But for now this will hopefully stop the spam.
Our very own Mumbles now has a blog, mostly about music for hermits:
Looks just as cool as girls driving tanks!
I’ve added a login widget to the sidebar, this is to bring the wordpress and forum closer together. So you can login to both wordpress and the forums via the wordpress side, rather than having to navigate to the forums to login. Registration and lost passwords still are done via the forums, but are linked from the login widget.
Once you log in, you get redirected to the page from where you came from and links appear in the widget:
- Dashboard – Your wordpress dashboard/profile. Users can change some of their wordpress details (non-forum) relating to making comments on blog posts.
- User control panel – Your forum control panel, usually more important than the dashboard (previously the dashboard was not exposed to normal users).
- Admin related links (no more admin login at the top menu!)
- Log out – This should be obvious, also redirects you to the page you were on.
Additionally, I found there was a lot of spam in blog comments. You must be registered in order to comment. This was the motivation for adding login capabilities on the front page, and maybe the chat will get some use!
I also plan on tinkering with a new site theme. Letting users change site themes might be a possibility too. Post suggestions here.
We are now in control.
I just soft-launched a new site (which technically now hosts deathbykukri.com):
It’s the beginning of a home for what I work on in my spare time, a graphics engine. At the moment it’s just a blog for programming/tech/development posting, so if you’re interesting in that check it out from time to time!
Maybe you’ll find out why I wasn’t playing TF2 when you invited me
Also, our site here was basically a testing ground for my original idea for tesla-engine.net. I have the site organized in a much nicer way than I do DBK, so I would expect some aesthetic enhancements in the future to DBK.
Today, 8 pm EST we have a friendly Highlander scrim against Nate’s “The Gentleman Heavy Halolz Squad” right here on the DBK server. This means that the server will temporarily have a join password and be closed to public play for the duration of the match.
Community members are welcome to join us and spectate, just grab me on steam when the time comes.
Listen up folks,
If you’ve been following the highlander forum thread here, a few of us want to get together for a practice highlander match via TF2 Lobbies. With the weekend coming up, this would be a great time for all of us to come together to get a few practice rounds in!
So those on the roster and the backups who want to come, post what days/times you can make it. To start with, tomorrow (Friday) at 8 pm EST may be a good time to get together since a few of us can make that and most of us usually do come on that time at the start of the weekend anyways. More practices would be awesome, so post when you can make them!
Rejoice! This morning I added a vote scramble plugin to the server. You all should be familiar with the chat command:
Type that exactly to bring up the vote. Also note that this plugin in particular will not reset the map time.
I’m going to be moving the site off my home server and to a dedicated server host. I don’t have an exact ETA on when this will be completed, but if the site is unavailable today or tomorrow that’s the reason.
Consequently, this means I can enable extra features on the forums like larger avatar uploads and post attachments.
That was a bit smoother than I anticipated, we’re now on the new host.
Doubled avatar max dimensions (200 x 200) and size (130 kb)
Enabled post attachments (3 per post, up to 25 Mb)